History of St. Paul's Lutheran Church
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church opened its red doors in 1886 when 39 members of Columbia’s Ebenezer Lutheran Church joined together and formed a new Lutheran Church in Columbia. The current congregation still lovingly refers to them as “The Thirty- Nine”. These men, women and some young adults were sincere Lutherans and dedicated citizens of Columba. The Thirty-Nine believed that the contributions from a family, whose income was generated primarily from the sale of alcohol, should not be so relied upon. The belief led to them leaving Ebenezer and the forming of their own church.
Building a church was made possible when one of the new congregation members mortgaged his home for the funds to start building. The congregation rented the Columbia YMCA to hold services until the church was completed in 1889.
St Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was issued a charter by the State of South Carolina on June 22, 1889.
With the rapid growth of the congregation the little church was just too small. Therefore a new cornerstone was laid in October 1913, which was the beginning of the church we now worship in today. The beautiful stone church at the corner of Bull and Blanding was dedicated during its first service held on November 15, 1914.
Over the years many changes have occurred to the inside of St, Paul’s but beginning in January of 2014, 100 years later, the inside of St. Paul’s has been restored to the way many of our older congregation members remember as children. We at St. Paul’s look forward to serving Columbia for another hundred years.